Make your happy home a safe one
- Install smoke detectors on every level of your home. Test the batteries every month, and change 9-volt batteries at least once a year. Replace 9-volt battery and hardwired smoke detectors every 10 years. Replace lithium battery smoke detectors according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Set space heaters at least 3 feet from anything combustible.
- Keep a flashlight by your bed. Make sure it always has working batteries.
- Keep your phone near your bed so you can answer it without stumbling around in the dark.
- Use no-slip mats in your bathtub or shower and no-slip rugs on bathroom or kitchen floors.
- Install handrails on each side of every staircase.
- Put grab bars in the bathtub, shower and by the toilet. This is important if you have an older or physically disabled person living in your home.
- Use a one-step stool, not a chair, to help you reach shelves or change lightbulbs.
- Have a first aid kit available for treating minor injuries.
- Place nightlights in bedrooms, hallways and bathrooms.