The opening of Great Plains Health (then known as Great Plains Regional Medical Center) in 1975 marked the completion of one of the most successful cooperative efforts in North Platte's history. Through a volunteer building campaign two years prior (themed "one hospital, more doctors") the community exceeded its $1.2 million fundraising goal, enabling a groundbreaking for a new hospital that would replace two smaller and dated hospitals, Memorial Hospital and St. Mary's Hospital. On Aug. 9, 1975, Great Plains Health opened its doors to the North Platte region with a commitment to putting the needs of our patients first.
We will continue to grow to meet the ever-changing healthcare needs of our region.
Since then, Great Plains Health continues to invest in our people, facilities, equipment and medical expertise to provide state-of-the-art healthcare, right here in the heart of Nebraska. We are guided by our passion, integrity and our mission to inspire health and healing by putting our patients first—always.
- 1975: Great Plains Health, then Great Plains Regional Medical Center, opens.
- 1976: A medical arts building opens just west of the hospital.
- 1990: A $7.5 million expansion project changed the main entrances and added space for physical therapy, renal dialysis and a new emergency department.
- 1996: A major renovation of women's services, guided by our patients telling us what they wanted, helped create a more family-centered environment.
- 2003: The opening of the North Platte Surgery Center (a joint venture project).
- 2003: Completion of a $23 million hospital building expansion that added 63,000 square feet to the hospital for same-day surgery, recovery, central sterile and the emergency department.
- 2004: Opening of the cardiac catheterization lab.
- 2009: Completion of Great Plains Imaging Center. The center features a women's imaging suite that houses some of the most modern and patient-friendly imaging technology available.
- 2011: Opening of the Heart & Vascular Center, Nebraska's only invasive and interventional cardiology program west of Kearney.
- 2012: Groundbreaking of a new 270,000-square-foot, $100 million patient tower.
- 2015: Grand opening of GPWest, the new patient tower.
- 2015: Grand opening of the expanded Physician Office Building.
- 2017: Completion of the Wound Healing Center, featuring the region's only hyperbaric chamber.
From our small-town Nebraska roots to our committed healthcare team, our passion for quality care and our dedication to the patients and families we serve, we are and will continue to grow to meet the ever-changing healthcare needs of our region.